Golf Teams Look Forward to Upcoming Season
Coaches Gorham Bradley and Steve Lott of the men and women's golf teams (respectively) have released their teams' 2009-2010 play schedule. Both teams will play in 11 tournaments throughout this fall and spring semester.
Coach Gorham Bradley posted the men's schedule On July 23. The schedule is divided into five events in the fall and six in the spring, including the Southern Conference Championship, which WCU finished 3rd in last season.WCU will host the Hummingbird Intercollegiate at Sapphire Valley in November. This will be the fifth year that the team has hosted an event at Sapphire Valley.
Steve Lott released the women's schedule on June 17. The WCU women will also be playing in 11 events over two semesters, with five in the fall and six in the spring. The Southern Conference Championship, which the women placed 6th in last season, will be played in mid-April. Lott is optimistic about the team's prospects this year.
‘The entire team returns," he says. "Everybody stayed, nobody left."
Last season the team finished with a 110-58 record, which Lott called the team's "fourth best record ever." Lott hopes to build on that success.
"Last year we started two freshmen, three sophomores and a junior. This year we're starting three seniors, one junior (who spent the summer playing in Sweden), and three sophomores returning…I don't think we have any weaknesses, and for the first time ever, we have a lot of depth," said Lott.
The women are set to host two events and co-host one. The team will be sole hosts of the Great Smoky Intercollegiate and the Mimosa Hills Intercollegiate, and will co-host the Low Country Intercollegiate with Wofford.
The Great Smoky Intercollegiate will be played at the Waynesville Inn - Golf Resort and Spa in Waynesville, N.C. This will mark the 11th year the women have hosted an event there.
The men's first event will be the Raines Development Group Intercollegiate on September 13. It will be hosted by FMU. The women begin a week earlier on September 6. They will play at the Draper Valley Intercollegiate, hosted by Appalachian State.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More Western Carolinian News Articles
Recent Western Carolinian News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR WESTERN CAROLINIAN
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST WESTERN CAROLINIAN NEWS
RECENT WESTERN CAROLINIAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- News Site Rantt Takes The Time to Get It Right
- The Opioid Crisis' Latest Victims: Addicted Babies
- The Importance of Protecting Patents
- Zulily Helps Moms Navigate the "Fourth Trimester" in Style
- Veteran Raises Capital Via Alternative Financing
- Stop Pests This Spring With These Safe, Simple Steps
- Have a Blast This Spring Break With These Must-Have...
- Seniors Find That Doing Good Is Good For You
- University Students Take Top Honors at CME Group's Annual...
- Telecom and Cloud Service Options Expand in Africa
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Deadline Approaching for Phi Kappa Phi Award Programs
- Applications Available for Phi Kappa Phi Student Leadership Summit
- GREEN AMERICA: ONE MILLION TREES COULD BE SAVED EACH YEAR IF UNIVERSITIES SWITCHED TO ONLY RECYCLED PAPER FOR ALUMNI MAGAZINES
- Deadline Approaching for the Phi Kappa Phi Fellowship Program
- Entries Are Open for 9th Annual SVG/NACDA College Sports Media Awards