WCU Gets New Chief Information Officer, Craig A. Fowler
The Cat Express, which went through more than one paint job, began serving students Jan. 31. Lex Menz
On July 10, the university announced that Craig A. Fowler will be joining Western as the new Chief Information Officer (CIO). As of July 27, Fowler will be in charge of continuing to keep all television and Internet systems running smoothly.
As CIO, Fowler will be responsible not only for maintaining the current information systems, but also for planning and implementing the design of future systems.
Provost Kyle Carter announced Fowler's appointment. He remarked that Fowler would "find a good foundation waiting for him, but also [would] be challenged by increasing technology needs in the context of shrinking resources."
Fowler is no stranger to information technology, bringing 20 years experience working in the private sector to his position. Accompanied with his experience lies a strong background working with Fortune 500 companies as well.
In 2004 and again in 2007, Governor Mike Easley chose Fowler to head the e-NC Authority, which is a plan to link all North Carolinians to the Internet. Fowler was also a member of the board of directors of the N.C. Technology Association from 2002 to 2009.
As a graduate of the University of West Florida with a bachelor's degree in Applied Mathematics (Fowler would later pick up a master's degree in applied business administration at the University of Dallas), Fowler has led a distinguished career in the private sector.
Fowler has held executive positions at companies such as Dell, Raytheon, and Texas Instruments, and was Vice President of Information Technology at Corning Cable Systems.
He was selected for the position of CIO from more than 250 applicants, many of which had similar qualifications.
Fowler will replace Wilson "Bill" Stahl, who has been CIO since 2005.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Western Carolinian News Articles
Recent Western Carolinian News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR WESTERN CAROLINIAN
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST WESTERN CAROLINIAN NEWS
RECENT WESTERN CAROLINIAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- How Plumbing Is Flushing Into the Future
- New App Takes the Task Out of Boat Maintenance
- Talk Before You Take When Dealing With Medicine
- Eclectic Father's Day Gift Ideas for Dad
- When on an Association Board, Education Is a Must
- Anti-Cancer Compounds Show Promise in Early Research
- 5 Ways to Keep Your Home Clean During a Remodel
- This Spring, It's all About That Bass Fishing -- and Your...
- Pepper Spray Conversations Heat Up, Myths Debunked
- The Eyes Have It -- New Corrective Lens Marks Vision...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LEMELSON-MIT ANNOUNCES NATIONAL COLLEGIATE STUDENT PRIZE COMPETITION WINNERS
- NEW WEBSITE FEATURES COLLEGE PROFESSORS EXCLUSIVELY AS ONLINE TUTORS
- Dickinson College and Jadu Reinvent Website and Portal with 'Single Experience Student Platform'
- UT Austin Tops All-America Student Analyst Competition 2014-15
- SVG, NACDA Announce Finalists for 2015 College Sports Media Awards