WCU Gets New Chief Information Officer, Craig A. Fowler
The Cat Express, which went through more than one paint job, began serving students Jan. 31. Lex Menz
On July 10, the university announced that Craig A. Fowler will be joining Western as the new Chief Information Officer (CIO). As of July 27, Fowler will be in charge of continuing to keep all television and Internet systems running smoothly.
As CIO, Fowler will be responsible not only for maintaining the current information systems, but also for planning and implementing the design of future systems.
Provost Kyle Carter announced Fowler's appointment. He remarked that Fowler would "find a good foundation waiting for him, but also [would] be challenged by increasing technology needs in the context of shrinking resources."
Fowler is no stranger to information technology, bringing 20 years experience working in the private sector to his position. Accompanied with his experience lies a strong background working with Fortune 500 companies as well.
In 2004 and again in 2007, Governor Mike Easley chose Fowler to head the e-NC Authority, which is a plan to link all North Carolinians to the Internet. Fowler was also a member of the board of directors of the N.C. Technology Association from 2002 to 2009.
As a graduate of the University of West Florida with a bachelor's degree in Applied Mathematics (Fowler would later pick up a master's degree in applied business administration at the University of Dallas), Fowler has led a distinguished career in the private sector.
Fowler has held executive positions at companies such as Dell, Raytheon, and Texas Instruments, and was Vice President of Information Technology at Corning Cable Systems.
He was selected for the position of CIO from more than 250 applicants, many of which had similar qualifications.
Fowler will replace Wilson "Bill" Stahl, who has been CIO since 2005.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Western Carolinian News Articles
Recent Western Carolinian News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR WESTERN CAROLINIAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST WESTERN CAROLINIAN NEWS
RECENT WESTERN CAROLINIAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Tax-Savings Tips From Licensed Experts
- Not Leo DiCaprio? How to Cut Your Energy Bills Anyway
- Television Best Bets: Streaming Programs Worth Watching
- Modern Farming: Technology Helps Keep Food on the Table
- An End to Acid Reflux?
- How to Select a Contractor: Certification Counts With...
- Modern Landfills: Safe, Smart and Green
- Medicine Safety Reminders for Cold and Flu Season
- What It Takes to Get One of the Most In-Demand Jobs
- Where Do Pests Lurk? The Rooms in Your Home That Pests...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists
- 6 ‘Friendsgiving’ tips that won’t leave you stuffed
- PARAMORE UNVEIL EXPANDED DIGITAL EDITION OF BLOCKBUSTER FOURTH ALBUM
- MELANIE MARTINEZ ANNOUNCES THIRD LEG OF “DOLLHOUSE TOUR”
- Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority, Inc. Declared Winner of Voto Latino’s RepUrLetters Challenge