WCU Gets New Chief Information Officer, Craig A. Fowler
The Cat Express, which went through more than one paint job, began serving students Jan. 31. Lex Menz
On July 10, the university announced that Craig A. Fowler will be joining Western as the new Chief Information Officer (CIO). As of July 27, Fowler will be in charge of continuing to keep all television and Internet systems running smoothly.
As CIO, Fowler will be responsible not only for maintaining the current information systems, but also for planning and implementing the design of future systems.
Provost Kyle Carter announced Fowler's appointment. He remarked that Fowler would "find a good foundation waiting for him, but also [would] be challenged by increasing technology needs in the context of shrinking resources."
Fowler is no stranger to information technology, bringing 20 years experience working in the private sector to his position. Accompanied with his experience lies a strong background working with Fortune 500 companies as well.
In 2004 and again in 2007, Governor Mike Easley chose Fowler to head the e-NC Authority, which is a plan to link all North Carolinians to the Internet. Fowler was also a member of the board of directors of the N.C. Technology Association from 2002 to 2009.
As a graduate of the University of West Florida with a bachelor's degree in Applied Mathematics (Fowler would later pick up a master's degree in applied business administration at the University of Dallas), Fowler has led a distinguished career in the private sector.
Fowler has held executive positions at companies such as Dell, Raytheon, and Texas Instruments, and was Vice President of Information Technology at Corning Cable Systems.
He was selected for the position of CIO from more than 250 applicants, many of which had similar qualifications.
Fowler will replace Wilson "Bill" Stahl, who has been CIO since 2005.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More Western Carolinian News Articles
Recent Western Carolinian News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR WESTERN CAROLINIAN
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST WESTERN CAROLINIAN NEWS
RECENT WESTERN CAROLINIAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Protecting Seniors Online from Scams, Hacks and Tax Fraud
- Rehydrating for Optimal Health
- Five Reasons You Need Cell Phone Insurance Now
- The One Super Bowl Fact You Still May Not Know
- Companies Are Discovering That Pittsburgh Is Good for...
- Millennials Go House Hunting, and Here's What They Crave
- Estate Plans: You're Not Doing Anyone a Favor by Avoiding...
- What Would You Have to Give Up to Pay for An Unexpected...
- Four Tips to Keep Your Kids' Teeth Healthy And Clean
- Local Community Newspapers Go Digital
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- N. American Effie Awards Announces 2017 Collegiate Effie Competition
- Students Increasingly Turn To GoFundMe To Pay For College
- O2 BARS: LATEST RAGE AT COLLEGE DE-STRESS, SOCIAL, & WELLNESS EVENTS
- Deadline Approaching for Phi Kappa Phi Study Abroad Grants
- ESA Foundation launches 2017-18 Scholarship Program