WCU Gets New Chief Information Officer, Craig A. Fowler
The Cat Express, which went through more than one paint job, began serving students Jan. 31. Lex Menz
On July 10, the university announced that Craig A. Fowler will be joining Western as the new Chief Information Officer (CIO). As of July 27, Fowler will be in charge of continuing to keep all television and Internet systems running smoothly.
As CIO, Fowler will be responsible not only for maintaining the current information systems, but also for planning and implementing the design of future systems.
Provost Kyle Carter announced Fowler's appointment. He remarked that Fowler would "find a good foundation waiting for him, but also [would] be challenged by increasing technology needs in the context of shrinking resources."
Fowler is no stranger to information technology, bringing 20 years experience working in the private sector to his position. Accompanied with his experience lies a strong background working with Fortune 500 companies as well.
In 2004 and again in 2007, Governor Mike Easley chose Fowler to head the e-NC Authority, which is a plan to link all North Carolinians to the Internet. Fowler was also a member of the board of directors of the N.C. Technology Association from 2002 to 2009.
As a graduate of the University of West Florida with a bachelor's degree in Applied Mathematics (Fowler would later pick up a master's degree in applied business administration at the University of Dallas), Fowler has led a distinguished career in the private sector.
Fowler has held executive positions at companies such as Dell, Raytheon, and Texas Instruments, and was Vice President of Information Technology at Corning Cable Systems.
He was selected for the position of CIO from more than 250 applicants, many of which had similar qualifications.
Fowler will replace Wilson "Bill" Stahl, who has been CIO since 2005.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More Western Carolinian News Articles
Recent Western Carolinian News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR WESTERN CAROLINIAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST WESTERN CAROLINIAN NEWS
RECENT WESTERN CAROLINIAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Skydiving Vikings to Deliver Minnesota's Game Ball
- IRS Warns Taxpayers of Latest Phone Fraud Scam
- Putting Your Vacation Home to Work for You
- Finding Answers to Growing Concerns About Water Fluoridation
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- College women switching to Sobrr this Halloween as the best app for fun -- and finding soul mates.
- Win $1,000 to Study Abroad in Italy. The ItaliaRail Study Abroad in Italy Scholarship for Spring 2015 is now accepting applications.
- 7 Tips for Scoring a Tailgating Touchdown
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!