Meth lab discovered at Moonshine Mini-Mart
The Jackson County Sheriff's Office say they have discovered an "active, working" meth lab in an office behind the counter at Moonshine Mini-Mart, which also serves as a BP gas station, on Hwy. 107 South in Cullowhee, about three miles from campus.
On Saturday and Sunday, officers from the Sheriff's Department, the State Bureau of Investigation and Probation and Parole served search warrants at two homes and one business, according to a release to the media from Captain Steve Lillard with the Jackson County Sheriff's Office.
"Officers located in excess of 400 grams of methamphetamine inside the store doing business as the Moonshine Mini-Mart, which is owned and operated by Scott and Charlotte Stough," Lillard said in the release.
Scott Jay Stough, 38, was charged with felony conspiracy, possession of a firearm by felon, manufacture methamphetamine, possession with intent to manufacture sell and deliver methamphetamine, maintaining a dwelling, to keep controlled substances, possess with intent to sell and deliver marijuana, and possess drug paraphernalia. Stough is currently being held under a $65,000secured bond.
Charlotte Jane Stough, 44, was charged with felony conspiracy, manufacture methamphetamine, maintaining a dwelling to keep controlled substances, possession with intent to sell and deliver marijuana, possess drug paraphernalia, possess with intent to manufacture to sell and deliver methamphetamine and maintaining a dwelling to keep controlled substances. Stough is currently being held under a $60,000 secured bond.
Authorities have also charged Darcie Heather Pelton, 40, with possession of marijuana up to one-half ounce, maintaining a dwelling to keep controlled substances, felony conspiracy and manufacture methamphetamine. Pelton is currently being held under a $51,000 secured bond.
Harley David Shearer, 35, was charged with felony conspiracy, manufacture methamphetamine, maintaining a dwelling to keep controlled substances, possess with intent to sell and deliver marijuana, possess drug paraphernalia and possess with intent to manufacture, sell and deliver methamphetamine. Shearer is currently being held under a $57,000 secured bond.
More charges are possible as the case investigation continues.
(This breaking news story will be updated as news develops.)
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent Western Carolinian News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR WESTERN CAROLINIAN
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST WESTERN CAROLINIAN NEWS
RECENT WESTERN CAROLINIAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Modern-Day Party Do's and Don'ts
- Taking Care of Your Child's Eyes in Today's Digitally...
- Will the Movie Studio be the Next Heavy Hitter?
- Survey Shows Americans' Views on Dental Hygiene Differ by...
- Fire Away: How to Prepare For Hunting Season
- Novel Program Brings Hope to African Nation
- What Health Care Really Costs
- Millennials Cited for Rise in ETF Popularity
- Today's Convenience Stores are Healthier and Hipper Than...
- Gadgets to Make Your Commute More Comfortable
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- 18-25 Years Old? EARN $80 IN 90 MINUTES for Participating in Research Study
- truth® CELEBRATES SYRACUSE UNIVERSITY MOVE TO TOBACCO-FREE
- vitaminwater® Announces Project Hustle Finalists
- Supermodel Jaslene Gonzalez to Speak at Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority 25th Anniversary Sisterhood Retreat
- LEMELSON-MIT ANNOUNCES NATIONAL COLLEGIATE STUDENT PRIZE COMPETITION WINNERS