Meth lab discovered at Moonshine Mini-Mart
The Jackson County Sheriff's Office say they have discovered an "active, working" meth lab in an office behind the counter at Moonshine Mini-Mart, which also serves as a BP gas station, on Hwy. 107 South in Cullowhee, about three miles from campus.
On Saturday and Sunday, officers from the Sheriff's Department, the State Bureau of Investigation and Probation and Parole served search warrants at two homes and one business, according to a release to the media from Captain Steve Lillard with the Jackson County Sheriff's Office.
"Officers located in excess of 400 grams of methamphetamine inside the store doing business as the Moonshine Mini-Mart, which is owned and operated by Scott and Charlotte Stough," Lillard said in the release.
Scott Jay Stough, 38, was charged with felony conspiracy, possession of a firearm by felon, manufacture methamphetamine, possession with intent to manufacture sell and deliver methamphetamine, maintaining a dwelling, to keep controlled substances, possess with intent to sell and deliver marijuana, and possess drug paraphernalia. Stough is currently being held under a $65,000secured bond.
Charlotte Jane Stough, 44, was charged with felony conspiracy, manufacture methamphetamine, maintaining a dwelling to keep controlled substances, possession with intent to sell and deliver marijuana, possess drug paraphernalia, possess with intent to manufacture to sell and deliver methamphetamine and maintaining a dwelling to keep controlled substances. Stough is currently being held under a $60,000 secured bond.
Authorities have also charged Darcie Heather Pelton, 40, with possession of marijuana up to one-half ounce, maintaining a dwelling to keep controlled substances, felony conspiracy and manufacture methamphetamine. Pelton is currently being held under a $51,000 secured bond.
Harley David Shearer, 35, was charged with felony conspiracy, manufacture methamphetamine, maintaining a dwelling to keep controlled substances, possess with intent to sell and deliver marijuana, possess drug paraphernalia and possess with intent to manufacture, sell and deliver methamphetamine. Shearer is currently being held under a $57,000 secured bond.
More charges are possible as the case investigation continues.
(This breaking news story will be updated as news develops.)
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent Western Carolinian News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR WESTERN CAROLINIAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST WESTERN CAROLINIAN NEWS
RECENT WESTERN CAROLINIAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Avoiding Body Drought: Tips to Prevent Dehydration
- Lighting for Aging Eyes -- Don't Get Left in the Dark
- Tax-Savings Tips From Licensed Experts
- Not Leo DiCaprio? How to Cut Your Energy Bills Anyway
- Television Best Bets: Streaming Programs Worth Watching
- Modern Farming: Technology Helps Keep Food on the Table
- An End to Acid Reflux?
- How to Select a Contractor: Certification Counts With...
- Modern Landfills: Safe, Smart and Green
- Medicine Safety Reminders for Cold and Flu Season
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists
- 6 ‘Friendsgiving’ tips that won’t leave you stuffed
- PARAMORE UNVEIL EXPANDED DIGITAL EDITION OF BLOCKBUSTER FOURTH ALBUM
- MELANIE MARTINEZ ANNOUNCES THIRD LEG OF “DOLLHOUSE TOUR”
- Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority, Inc. Declared Winner of Voto Latino’s RepUrLetters Challenge