Tuesday, October 1:
- Another month into the semester! Can you feel the autumn air yet?
- Christy Newell will lead another non-abstinence group lecture. The event will take place at 11 a.m. for an hour. “Motivated to Moderate Alcohol Use” focuses on “contemplating a change related to substance use, abuse or dependence,” according to Western Carolina’s website. For more information, contact Newell at 828-227-7469 or email@example.com.
- “Living Mindfully” will meet again at 4 p.m. Michelle Cooper will lead the group. To sign-up, contact Cooper at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Wednesday, October 2:
- This event is a favorite of students! It’s time for the WCU Surplus Sale. The Warehouse, located on campus, will open its doors at 10 a.m. for students to browse desks, electronics, chairs and other items for purchases. Payment for items is cash only!
- There will be a study abroad information session at 2 p.m. Student ambassadors will talk about spring 2013 and fall 2014 programs as well as advice, deadlines and more. This information will specifically cover the countries of Germany, Belgium, France and the Czech Republic. Future information sessions are held on Oct. 9 at 2 p.m. for Australia, New Zealand and Fiji and on Oct. 16 at 2 p.m. for Chile and Uruguay. To register, contact John Schweikart at email@example.com or 828-227-2567.
- The Nai Ni Chen Dance Company performs at the Bardo Arts Center Theatre at 7:30 p.m. According to WCU’s website, “The dances of Nai-Ni Chen fuse the dynamic freedom of American modern dance with the grace and splendor of Asian art.” Tickets are on sale now, $5 for students and $10 for faculty, staff and community members. Call the box office at 828-227-2479 to purchase your tickets.
Thursday, October 3:
- Check out the Jackson Plaza near the entrance ramp to Highway 74 in Sylva. Play a game of bowling at Country Lanes or try out the hole-in-the-wall Chinese restaurant, Peking Gourmet II, for their delicious lunch buffet and take-out.
- Give a new restaurant a try! What about Soul Infusion Tea House and Bistro? Mad Batter? Hooper’s in downtown Sylva or Kosta’s in Dillsboro? Try something unexpected on their menu, or ask the waiter/waitress to surprise you!
Friday, October 4:
- A group titled “Interpersonal Process Group” will meet at 11 a.m. to discuss various issues involving depression, stress, relationships and struggles on campus. The group provides an opportunity for students to reach out and connect with their fellow classmates in a safe environment. For more information, contact Keysha or Ned at 828-227-7469.
- At 7:30 p.m., take a road trip to Asheville to see the musical “Annie Get Your Gun” at the Asheville Community Theatre. Music and lyrics are by well-known Irving Berlin, and the show is directed by Jerry Crouch with musical direction by Lenora Thom. The popular song “Anything You Can Do I Can Do Better” highlights and opens the fun musical! The show runs until Oct. 13. Visit http://www.ashevilletheatre.org/?p=532 for ticket information.
Saturday, October 5:
- Happy Fall Break!! We will see you all again in a week!