Hoey Auditorium catches fire during exams

On Dec. 16, 2009, a small fire was extinguished in Hoey Auditorium. The fire was reported at 10:38 a.m.

Responding to the fire were Cullowhee, Sylva, and Savannah Fire Departments. Also responding were, Western University Police Department, Jackson County Fire Marshal, WestCare Emergency Management Service and Jackson County Emergency Management.

The cause was traced back to a work light used to laminate the stage. Tom Salzman, Department Head of Stage and Screen, said the light was left on and got in contact with a stage curtain which ignited the flames.

The fire’s damage was limited to the stage area. The primary damage was to the stage curtains. Other damages included curtain tracks, smoke damage, and water damage to the stage and stage lighting. No injuries were reported.

Salzman added that no events were postponed or cancelled in result of the fire. The 500-seated Hoey Auditorium is used for University plays, concerts, lectures, and exhibition affairs.