Still here for the summer? There’s plenty to do in Sylva, Cullowhee and the surrounding towns.
Sunday, June 2:
- Catch the matinee performance at 3 p.m. of “Ring of Fire” at the Haywood Arts Regional Theater in Waynesville. The musical celebrates the life and music of Johnny Cash.
- While in Waynesville, try out a new restaurant. You may find your new favorite place to dine.
Monday, June 3:
- The first session of summer classes begins! Get ready to hit the books.
- If the weather is nice, slap on some sunscreen and go exploring. Go on a stream adventure down Cullowhee Creek. What interesting items or slimy creatures can you find? Have fun sliding down the mini waterfall near the softball field, just past the bridge. It is also the perfect creek for tubing!
Tuesday, June 4:
- Take a walk around campus. Did you see any buildings that you didn’t know existed before?
- Get involved with your community. Serve dinner at The Community Table. For more information on how to help, call 828-586-6782.
- Pick a theme like “Bad Horror Movie Night” and get together with friends for popcorn, candy and as many films as you can watch.
Wednesday, June 5:
- Participate in The Western Carolinian. Message us on Facebook as to how you can help by submitting photos, opinion pieces or articles. See your name in the paper!
- Go through your closet and make space for the summer season. Donate your old clothes and belongings to the Good Will trailer located next to the Hot Spot gas station in Sylva.
- Spend a night under the stars. Find a secluded spot on campus and spread out a blanket to look at the stars. Make sure to bring bug spray!
Thursday, June 6:
- Get a library card at the Sylva Library and enjoy the beautifully renovated building. There are plenty of books, DVDs and audio books to choose from. Also, pick up their free movie screening schedule for more entertainment.
- At 7 p.m., the band Floating Action will perform at the University Central Plaza as part of the free Summer Concert Series.
Friday, June 7:
- Take a trip to the Great Smoky Mountain National Park for a natural phenomenon like no other. See the special synchronizing fireflies light up the mountains during their very brief showing for one week. Head to http://www.nps.gov/grsm/naturescience/fireflies.htm to learn more about shuttles, times, parking passes and more.
Saturday, June 8:
- Spend the day in Waynesville at the Appalachian Lifestyle Celebration from 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. on Main Street. There will be dancing, music, crafts, storytelling, local authors, food and more. Performers like Barefoot Movement, J. Creek Cloggers and The Ross Brothers will put together fun shows for everyone’s entertainment.