Welcome back to Cullowhee and to Western Carolina University’s campus! Here is a list of activities to get you started back into the spirit of school.
Saturday, Aug. 17:
- Wake up bright and early for Freshmen Assembly in the Bardo Arts Center Theatre at 7 a.m.
- Valley Ballyhoo begins for all students at 4 p.m. in the Quad, also known as the University Center Central Plaza. There will be a free concert, booths from many departments, registered student organizations like The Western Carolinian, clubs and sports organizations. There will also be games and yard toys. This annual activity of fun is not to be missed!
- “Dearly Departed,” a Souther comedy, continues at the Haywood Arts Regional Theatre in Waynesville. Student tickets are $10. The show begins at 7:30 p.m. and runs on the weekends until Sept. 1. Get a discount by attending a matinee show where student tickets are $6.
Sunday, Aug. 18:
- Learn your class schedule. Take a campus map and walk your class schedule. Find the quickest and best ways to get from one class to another. Do you have time to go to your dorm between classes? Where is the easiest place to get lunch or a quick snack? Where can you meet up with friends to blow off steam or hang out? Where is the quietest place to study outside your dorm room?
- Get wet and wild. For all your freshmen, make yourself an official Catamount and play in the Cata-fount located in the UC Central Plaza. This gigantic geyser took quite some time to build and has become a symbol of the University just like the alumni clock tower and the Catamount statue in the main entrance to campus.
Monday, Aug. 19:
- Wake up, get out and go to class! Time to get back into the swing of things. Make sure to stop by the University Bookstore and get all your rental textbooks, notepads, pens and electronic necessities during the first week, especially if you have financial aid.
- Dine at McAllister’s on a delicious sandwich, creamy mac & cheese and a divine dessert for lunch.
- After dinner, make some new friends and have a little Card Night in the lobby of your dormitory floor. Who is the best at Uno, Kings in a Corner, Spoons or Rummy?
Tuesday, Aug. 20:
- At 5:45 p.m., play or watch the Intramural Table Tennis Singles Tourney in the Cat’s Den. Show up with your CatCard by 6 p.m. to play. The Cat’s Den is located in Brown Building, and you can find more information at imleagues.com/wcu.
- Immediately following table tennis, the Intramural Billiards Singles Tournament will begin at 8 p.m. To play, bring your CatCard by 8 p.m.
Wednesday, Aug 21:
- Take a trip to Sylva. Explore Bridge Park, meet the local shopkeepers on Main Street and enjoy the beautiful Jackson County Library located at the top of the hill in the white historic courthouse. Also, the courthouse is a perfect place to get a gorgeous photo of all of Sylva at the top of the stairs.
- Bite into a cheesy pizza at Nick and Nate’s located across the street from MedWest hospital. The restaurant has indoor and outdoor seating and provides a rustic atmosphere with their many trinkets hanging from the walls and ceiling.
Thursday, Aug 22:
- The 2013 Asheville Wine and Food Festival kicks off today at the US Cellular Center on Haywood Street. The festival lasts until Aug. 24. For more information, check out http://wncmagazine.com/wineandfood/grand.
- There will be a Safe Zone Interest Meeting in the UC, room 336, at 5 p.m.
- The Fine Art Museum will hold their Third Thursday reception at 6 p.m. The reception is free and kicks off with an artist talk beforehand at 5 p.m. in BAC room 130. The reception honors photographer Rick Cary, who works as a “documentary photographer.”
- A free concert will take place at the UC Central Plaza at 7 p.m. The band Relient K will perform as part of W.OW. (Week of Welcome).
Friday, Aug. 23:
- The 9th annual Lake Lure Olympiad begins today at Chimney Rock State Park. The sporting event lasts three days and features a festival, golf tournament, water ski show, fireworks and BBQ. There are also several races and triathlons happening. For more information, visit http://lakelureolympiad.com/.
- Get your action junkie fix! Last Minute Productions will show “Fast and Furious 6” in the UC Theater at 6 p.m. and again at 9 p.m.