Students have been readily awaiting the update on Fall 2020 graduation festivities and commencement procedures, and as of Friday, Oct. 16, a decision has been made. Commencement ceremonies for Dec. graduates are going to look very different this year due to the ongoing national pandemic, but nevertheless, graduation will still be occurring for students, and they will have the opportunity to walk across the stage and receive a diploma (while remaining socially distanced.)
Some guidelines put in place for the Fall commencement ceremonies are:
- Students will be assigned a specific time block for their respective ceremony based on their degree, academic department and college.
- Each graduate will be allowed to have no more than two guests attend their ceremony, and guests will be required to wear face coverings.
- Students and up to two guests who arrive together with face coverings at the ticketed time will be admitted to the Ramsey Center.
- All commencement participants will be required to wear face coverings during the ceremony, including as they cross the stage of the Ramsey Center.
- Guests will walk with their graduating students into the facility and will have a front-row view from the arena floor (directly in front of the stage). There will not be any seating available.
- Photographs will be taken of the participants on stage in face coverings, with the opportunity for face covering-free photographs with family members adjacent to the stage.
All Spring, Summer and Fall commencement participants will be assigned a specific arrival time-ticket for their ceremony based on college and major and should monitor their WCU email account for details and updated information.
Because WCU is also holding the commencement ceremonies for Spring and Summer 2020 graduates in Dec. as well, ceremonies will be spread out over a four-day period. The ceremony dates are as listed below:
- Thursday, Dec. 10: Morning: David Orr Belcher College of Fine and Performing Arts, Afternoon and Evening: College of Education and Allied Professions
- Friday, Dec. 11: Morning: College of Engineering and Technology, Afternoon and Evening: College of Business
- Saturday, Dec. 12: Morning and Afternoon: College of Health and Human Sciences
- Sunday, Dec. 13: Morning and Afternoon: College of Arts and Sciences
Graduates looking to purchase garments and other regalia for the commencement ceremonies may do so by ordering online or by attending the Fall grad fair on Oct. 31 from 9 am to 5 pm. Latin Honor Cords may be picked beginning Oct. 30 at Illusions in the University Center, or on Oct. 31 during the grad fair. Cords will be available for pickup at the Registrar’s Office until Nov. 20 for graduates unable to pick up cords at the previously listed times.
For more information on the upcoming ceremonies or grad fair, please visit: https://www.wcu.edu/learn/academic-services/registrars-office/graduation/index.aspx