Ron Rash Wins SIBA Award for Best Fiction
Cracker. Justin Caudell
Ron Rash, the Parris Distinguished Professor of Appalachian Culture at Western Carolina University, is winner of the Southern Independent Booksellers Alliance book award in the category of fiction for his novel "Serena."
Rash's "Serena" has been a critical success since its 2008 release and has catapulted the South Carolina-born author to the forefront of the literary world.
The Southern Independent Booksellers Alliance is a regional organization that represents more than 300 independent bookstores and storeowners throughout the Southeast.
"Serena" is set in pre-Depression-era Appalachia, and tells the story of a timber baron and his ruthless wife who come to the North Carolina mountains to seek their fortune.
In addition to his SIBA award, "Serena" made Rash a finalist for the 2009 Pen/Faulkner Award, was called "one of the best books of the year" by Publishers Weekly, and was Amazon's No. 7 most sought-after book in 2008.
Critics have praised Rash's ability to majestically convey the North Carolina backcountry, which is a trademark of his work. The Columbia, S.C., newspaper, The State, praised Rash for his ability to "capture the speech and landscape of the Carolinas with an elegant precision" when commenting on his 2006 novel "The World Made Straight."
Rash is no stranger to critical acclaim. His 2002 novel "One Foot in Eden" won the Appalachian Writers Association's Book of the Year award and received a gold medal from ForeWords Magazine for best literary novel.
In April, Rash was a featured speaker at Western Carolina's Spring Literary Festival. He continues to host readings of his work across the country.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More Western Carolinian News Articles
Recent Western Carolinian News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR WESTERN CAROLINIAN
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST WESTERN CAROLINIAN NEWS
RECENT WESTERN CAROLINIAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- News Site Rantt Takes The Time to Get It Right
- The Opioid Crisis' Latest Victims: Addicted Babies
- The Importance of Protecting Patents
- Zulily Helps Moms Navigate the "Fourth Trimester" in Style
- Veteran Raises Capital Via Alternative Financing
- Stop Pests This Spring With These Safe, Simple Steps
- Have a Blast This Spring Break With These Must-Have...
- Seniors Find That Doing Good Is Good For You
- University Students Take Top Honors at CME Group's Annual...
- Telecom and Cloud Service Options Expand in Africa
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Deadline Approaching for Phi Kappa Phi Award Programs
- Applications Available for Phi Kappa Phi Student Leadership Summit
- GREEN AMERICA: ONE MILLION TREES COULD BE SAVED EACH YEAR IF UNIVERSITIES SWITCHED TO ONLY RECYCLED PAPER FOR ALUMNI MAGAZINES
- Deadline Approaching for the Phi Kappa Phi Fellowship Program
- Entries Are Open for 9th Annual SVG/NACDA College Sports Media Awards